This class teaches students to write and publish fiction, non-fiction and poetry using a variety of games, graphic organizers, self-editing tools and arts & crafts. These hands-on classes will provide consistent instructions to unlock the budding writer and make writing an activity your students will ask for. Students will learn to plan, create, self- evaluate and publish their writing projects in a variety of forms, such as a booklet, matted copy with borders, lap book, flip book, display board, and many other forms. Each 2 to 3 - week lesson will include grammar, journaling, and specific requirements for the lesson genre. Whether you have a more advanced child or one who is just learning the writing process, this flexible program will allow your child to work at their level and succeed. Student assignments are not graded at this level; instead, encouraging comment are made to encourage creativity and foster a love for writing. Each class is independent of each other; there is no perquisite.
WriteShop Jr. D – Class Topics
- Lesson 1: Writing a Letter of Invitation. Grammar: Punctuation
- Lesson 2: Humor. Characters. Introduce self-editing. Grammar: Editing and Proofreading
- Lesson 3: Adventure. Plot and characters. Grammar: Nouns
- Lesson 4: Science Fiction. Setting (and characters and plot).
- Grammar: Pronouns
- Lesson 5: Mystery. Problem and Solution (and characters, plot, and setting).
- Grammar: Verbs
- Lesson 6: Haiku poetry. Creating a Book of Poems (Haiku, Cinquain, and Acrostic). Grammar: Adjectives
- Lesson 7: Folk Tales. Descriptive, concrete, sensory details. Grammar: Adverbs
- Lesson 8: Historical Fiction. Using verb tenses, with problem & solution.
- Grammar: Prepositions
- Lesson 9: Personal Narrative. Nonfiction. Grammar: Capitalization
- Lesson 10: Expository Writing. Write a factual article using simple research & presenting it
Grammar: Using references
Required Texts: WriteShop Jr. Book D (Skill Builder Worksheet and Grammar Guide Pack); Various Handouts; Grade Appropriate Dictionary and Thesaurus
Tuition Cost: $452.00 per year for first child, $400.00 if paid in full on or before the first day of class or monthly payments of $44.00. Sibling Discount Available.
Locations: Tuesday Crossroads (Concord Area) 1:25 pm – 2:15 pm