The Practical Composition Skills class for grades 7th to 9th uses the first half of WriteShop ©II (lessons 17 – 23) but follows it at a slower pace than the Intermediate Writing, Level I class allowing students to focus on sentence and paragraph development as well as writing using a variety writing genres such as descriptive, narrative and literary. Writing assignments are interesting, purposeful and engaging. Besides writing instruction, students will learn how to or continue to learn self-editing skills so they are less reliant upon their teachers and better able to confidentially produce quality work. Students will read The Bronze Bow for a thorough study of literary elements and related essays. We will end the year with a biographical research project and presentation. All assignments are evaluated and graded.
- Sentence Variations
- Paragraph Development
- Descriptive Writing
- Narratives (various points of view)
- Literature Study - The Bronze Bow
- Opinion Writing
- On-line Grammar Assignments
- Biographical Research Project
- Weekly Grammar, Mechanics & Usage (GUM)
- Information Literacy as it pertains to research
- High School Credit: ½ to 3/4 credit (adding another Literature unit from Progeny Press or Total Language Plus for example) and Vocabulary (ie Wordly Wise) will complete your English program)
Prerequisites: Introduction to Writing I or an understanding of word types and sentence structure.
Required Texts: WriteShop II 5th ed. ; Write on Course 2020 (ed. 2016); Synonym Finder; Various Handouts
$530.00 per year for first child, $480.00 if paid in full on or before the first day of class or monthly payments of $53.75. Sibling Discount Available
- Tuesday - Virtual Class - 2:50 pm – 3:50 pm